Relief for people displaced by fire in the hill country

Posted on Sunday, August 19th, 2012

23/08/2012: A fire broke out on the 22nd August 2012 at Mahanilu Estate Upcot, Maskeliya.  14 houses were completely destroyed from the fire that was a result of a faulty power line. 15 families including 43 people were affected by the fire. The displaced individuals were accommodated at   Mahaniluwa Community centre.

Sri Lanka Red Cross Society’s Nuwara Eliya Branch were the first responders where 5 BDRT Members and 10 volunteers arrived at the location soon after the fire broke out. After the assessment displaced persons were given non food relief items such as clothes, kitchen sets, mats, bed sheets, buckets, hygiene packs, blankets, jerry cans, school books, bags, etc.

Chairman of Ambagamuwa Pradeshiya Sabha, Social service officer – Ambagamuwa, Officer in charge of the Maskeliya Police, Grama Niladhari , Manager and staff of the Mahanilu Estate, Sri Lanka Red Cross Society Nuwaraeliya Branch Hon Secretary , BEO and Staff  were participated for the distribution programme.